The mantle for which sports league is most popular with Americans outside of football is still up for grabs, but there’s a good case that it’s the NBA and basketball. That, in turn, translates into pro hoops being one of the most popular sports to bet on. Betting on professional basketball is now legal in a growing number of states across the country. Read on for more information on how to bet on NBA games, where you can wager on NBA games, and more.
How to bet on NBA games?
There are several common ways to bet on NBA games:
- Moneyline Bets on the NBA: Here, you pick a winner. The moneyline will be designated by a negative or positive number. The team with odds that have a negative number is the favorite; the positive number is the underdog. If a team is -120 on the moneyline, you would have to bet $120 to return $100 in winnings. For a +120 underdog, a bet of $100 would return $120 in winnings.
- Point Spread Bets on the NBA: You bet on whether a team will cover a point spread set by the sportsbook. The favorite must win by more than the set number of points, and the underdog must win or lose by less than the spread.
- Over/Under Bets on the NBA: You bet on the total number of points that will be scored in a game. It is either under or over a total set by the sportsbook.
- Parlay Bets on the NBA: Parlay betting means linking two or more bets together for an increased payout. You could bet the point spread in multiple games, and get a much larger return on your wager. These are usually much riskier than any of the straight bets above.
- Proposition Bets: Prop bets are usually of the yes-or-no variety, such as whether LeBron James will score more than 30 points in a game, or if Joel Embiid will have more than 15 rebounds.
- Futures Bets: You bet on future events, such as the winner of the NBA Finals, or how many games a team will win in the regular season.
- Live Betting: You can bet on any number of things while games are going on, including moneylines, point spreads and props.
To bet on the NBA at US online sportsbooks, you need to have a way to deposit online. Several options are available, depending on where you are, including PayPal, Neteller, e-checks, Play+ cards, and credit and debit cards. The options vary by state and by sportsbooks.
If you’re betting at a physical sportsbook, you will usually have to use cash to wager.
NBA Live Betting
One of the fastest-growing segments in NBA betting is live betting or in-game betting. One upon a time, the only way to bet on NBA games was before they happened, or if you were placing a futures bet. Now, those limitations have been eliminated, at least in states with online betting.
How do NBA spreads work?
Sportsbooks will set a number of points that one team will win by; for instance, the Lakers could be favored over the Sixers by 3 points. If you bet on the Lakers (-3), they would have to win by 4 points or more. If you bet on the Sixers (+3), they have to either win the game outright or lose by 1-2 points. However, If the Lakers win by 3 points in this situation, bettors will get their wagers back.
How does over/under work in basketball?
For an over/under bet, also known as a totals wager, sportsbooks will set the number of points that will be scored in a game. You can bet over or under that total. For example, for a game between the Lakers and Sixers, the total could be set at 240 points. If you bet the under, you are saying the combined points will be under that total. If exactly 240 points are scored, the bet is a “push,” and a sportsbook will refund your money.
How are NBA spreads and odds created?
Sportsbooks will set initial lines, sometimes days before a game takes place. They will do this based on how they rate the teams involved, or perhaps by the early lines set by other sportsbooks. Sportsbooks will then take bets on the games, and they could move the line on the game based on how much money is coming in on one side or the other.
For instance, in a game where the Lakers are favored over the Sixers by 3 points, a sportsbook might move the line to 4-5 points (or perhaps more) if a lot of money comes in on the Lakers to cover.
Basketball and NBA Betting
Basketball betting is extremely popular all around the world. All bookmakers offer basketball options especially when it comes to the NBA. To learn more about how to bet on basketball and to find the best odds and markets for the NBA, head over to the Coinbet24.com bitcoin casino and sportsbook.